Foreigners who receive a Non-Immigrant “B” visa can work in Thailand once he or she is being granted a Work Permit. Upon entry into the Kingdom, foreigners must contact your department and IRU to issue the supporting documents for your work permit application. Applicant or his or her appointed representatives must apply for a work permit at Chiang Mai Provincial Employment Office where the applicant will be obligated to pay income tax accordingly.


Required Documents

  • 3 photographs (4 x 6 cm) taken within the past 6 months
  • A copy of the passport with a validity of not less than 6 months
  • All copies of Non-Immigrant “B” visa
  • A copy of the TM.30 – Receipt of Notification Form for House-Master, Owner or Possessor of Residence or Hotel Manager Where Alien Has Stayed
  • Resume/CV
  • Evidence of educational qualification such as diplomas or teaching certificates
  • Medical Certificate certifying that the applicant does not have the following conditions or diseases: Mental illness or Mental infirmity, Leprosy, Tuberculosis (at the infective stage), Elephantiasis (at the symptomatic stage), Drug Addiction, Alcoholism, or Tertiary Syphilis.

The documents must be passed to the International Relations Unit of the Faculty of Medicine. IRU will facilitate necessary official supporting documents for foreign employees within 7-14 working days.



The fee for Work Permit changes depending on the duration of the permit:

  • Up to 3 months: 850 Thai Baht
  • Between 3 to 6 months: 1,600 Thai Baht
  • Longer between 6 to 12 months: 3,100 Thai Baht


Note: An alien in violation of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning taking up employment without work permit or the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning holding employment in certain restricted occupations and professions shall be prosecuted and imprisoned or fined, or shall face both penalties.