Guidelines for international students and staff at the Faculty of Medicine, CMU

Visa Extension

The holders of Non-Immigrant Visa are initially granted a period of stay in the Thailand not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date. Those who wish to stay longer than such period must apply for extension of stay at Immigration Office before the expiration date. Students are required to provide the documents to IRU at least 3 weeks prior to their visa expiry date. Otherwise, there will be a penalty if the visa has expired.

Visa Extension documents required:

– A copy of the first page of passport
– All copies of Non-Immigrant “ED” or “B” visa on the passport
– A Copy of Notification Form for House Master of the Residence where Aliens have stayed (TM.30)
– A copy of departure card (TM.6) — (if any)
– A copy of Receipt of notify 90 day — (if any)
– A copy of CMU Transcript or working timetable
– A recent photograph (4 x 6 cm)

The fee for each visa extension is 1,900 Baht paid to Thai Immigration.

In the case of foreigners staying beyond the expiration date of the visa or delaying the visa extension process (Overstay), they must be fined. The minimum charge is 500 Baht per day, reaching a maximum fine of 20,000 Baht (when overstaying 40 or more days) paid to Immigration. Faculty of Medicine shall not accept any responsibility for students who submit their extension application late.

90-day Reporting

Holders of a Non-Immigrant Visa must report their current address to a Thai immigration office every 90 days. This reporting does not need the documents from IRU and can be done four ways:

– In person at a Thai immigration office
– Through an agent who has the Power of Attorney to report you status
– By mail
– On the website:  => Online Services

If you are not in Thailand on the date your 90-day reporting is due, you do not need to report your status. Your 90-day reporting will begin again from day 1 on the day you re-enter Thailand.

Re-entry Permit

During your stay, if students plan on leaving and re-entering Thailand whilst on Non-Immigrant Visa, you have to apply for a Re-entry Permit in order to be allowed to leave and re-enter Thailand without your visa becoming void. If the student leaves without applying for a Re-entry Permit, their visa will be cancelled and they will have to re-process the visa issuance again, incurring 2,000 Baht in extra costs.

A re-entry permit can be secured from a Thai Immigration Office or International Airport. The fees are 1,000 Baht for a single re-entry, and 3,800 Baht for a multiple re-entry permit. When re-entering Thailand, make sure to note the number of your re-entry permit on your immigration arrival form in order for your visa to be re-activated.

Visa Cancellation

All graduating students are required to contact IRU to request for cancelling the visa 1 month before their departure date or during their final exam/thesis defense, whichever comes first. IRU will prepare a letter to request visa cancellation and students can go cancel their visa with Thai Immigration office 21 days before leaving Thailand.